Monday, November 10, 2008

Change - that not everyone believes in

Well its official, Barack Obama will become the 44th president of the United States of America after a resounding win in this year’s presidential election. The leader of the free world was not the only thing that changed last Tuesday with much attention being paid to a proposed law in California called "Proposition 8" which was passed by left coast voters. The "cliff notes" version of "Prop 8" (as it is more commonly known) eliminates the rights of same sex couples to marry in California. While many (myself included) have no personal connection to this issue it does raise an interesting question...Does the government have the right to dictate lifestyles? MSNBC anchor Keith Olbermann had a powerful opinion in his final word on Monday's "Countdown with Keith Olbermann". What's your take on the issue?



Sources:


http://www.msnbc.com/
http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/title-sum/prop8-title-sum.htm
http://www.flickr.com/
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that this matter should not matter to those that have no direct effect, but I take a MAJOR offense when this issue is put in the same vane as the color of ones skin.
VG

Chillwill said...

Boy it's been awhile since I've check your blog....And as I can see with good cause(someone hasn't been posting).

Real quick on prop 8 seeing how I was in California for the past 4 months. Even better going to a bible college, thus the prop 8 supporters and protesters decided that it would be a good place to have a rally in front of campus (i didn't take part, I just gave water to supporters and protester).

I will say this much. From a Christian prespective I disagree with the right of homo-sexual marriage. However, as an American I do agree that citizens should have rights. My question to anyone who disagrees with prop 8 is this: Is it the right of a gay couple to sue a pastor (or anyone of leader position in a faith) if the person refuses to marry them? We (americans) believe in the 1st ammendment and the seperation of church and state. But time and time again I was reminded of pastors in Cali' who were taken to courts for not accepting a "gay" couple's request to marry them. Why? How is that freedom? Even more so, why would a homo-sexual couple go to someone they know would refuse marriage to them?

Look to my blog over the next week or so. I plan on doing a look at Obama...(not so much against him, just against the type of people who voted for him)